Sunday, June 2, 2013

X-Men: Migraine & Headache Disorder Super Heroes (Day 2)

Who in your life goes above and beyond the call of duty, and how?

    Wow... this is hard. It truly is; I think I'd have an easier time coming up with a list of those who have not. However, here are some of the most notable:

   My mother is probably at the top of the list. When she had me, she had no idea what she was getting herself into, although she did learn quickly when I screamed for the first year. However, she was to be commended (and was told this) that I survived that first year, and I've survived 24.5 years beyond that. She is my rock. Since I'm not allowed to drive, it's usually Mom who sometimes ends up taking me to my numerous doctor appointments.
   She is so understanding and helpful during spikes. She's been there all along, and so is the best prepared to help me deal with the extreme pain days, coaching me to breathe, how to distract myself when I get too deep in the pain, and then will back off when it's time to just wait it out. That must be the hardest thing for a mother to do; to back off and just watch her child suffer. But she does it well because she knows it's what's to be done.


   My team of doctors that I've pulled together are another group who just continually astound me with their willingness, and, it's not quite the right word, but enthusiasm for helping me and thinking of my case and what can be done. It's quite impressive, especially, how well my neurologist Dr B and my psychologist Dr G work together. Dr G will sometimes call Dr B during an appointment if there's a possible medicine change in the works. They both understand that migraine and psych meds interact with each other, or can be the same chemical, just used differently, and thus are always very careful to check with each other. Apparently they also talk about me and my migraines when I'm not there, and if one has an idea, they'll call up the other.

   There are so many more; my sister, my friends online, my friends here closer to home, etc. that I really can't list them all. They're just all so loving and supporting. It's like I truly am at the Academy for Extraordinary Children.

Quantum in me fuit,
Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts.