Friday, June 28, 2013

Saturday Night Live: (Day 28)

How does humor help you cope?

   Humor is a huge help for me. Life's a giant cosmic joke, after all, and, as the saying goes in my family, "Laugh; it drowns out the screaming."

   Keeping a good sense of humor is key to dealing with things like Migraines that can be viewed negatively. I'm reminded of the part of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban where the class is learning to face the Boggarts, which take the form of whatever the witch or wizard facing it fears most. The spell to defeating the boggart is to make it ridiculous by making it appear differently. Laughter is it's enemy.
   Pain, I've found, is much the same. First, you have to realize I don't actively laugh at my migraines. Not usually at any rate. But finding humor in the situation, or at least minimizing the negativity is huge.

   Also, watching comedy of a certain caliber; that which entertains, but isn't obvious, can effectively distract me from focusing on the level of pain I am, and rather can immerse myself in the plot. Reading books with a similar level of entertainment value can do the same thing.
   I need a happy ending. I don't do well with tragedies, especially when I'm in a lot of pain. But books that have triumphs over tribulations can be very pleasing and uplifting. But comedies are the best.

Quantum in me fuit,
Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts.