Monday, June 3, 2013

The Hunger Games: "Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor": (Day 3)

What healthy habits have you adopted to put the odds of better Migraine and Headache Disorders management in your favor?

   Let it first be said that the odds were not always in my favor. I wasn't treating my body as well as I should have, as I was in a major depressive two year long episode because the migraine pain was that bad.
   One thing that was told to me, I remember, by almost every health person I saw, every time I saw them, was that I needed to drink more water. This was difficult when I was sleeping upwards of twenty hours a day. But finally, after one such scolding, my mom took me aside and told me that if she heard that I needed to drink more water one more time, I'd be paying that visit's bill myself.
  Lo, I began to drink!  I now am to the point that if I don't drink at least two liters of water a day, I feel terribly dehydrated and slightly headachy from the lack of intake.


   Another thing that I've started doing to take better care of my health is eating more regularly, and more equally sized meals. It used to be, during those same two terrible years, that I would honestly forget to eat lunch. I might have an afternoon snack, but not a regular lunch. This was terrible for my blood sugar levels in general, as it would be for anybody, and thus when I got myself in gear to take better care of myself, I started to try and remember to eat three times a day, and have only one afternoon snack, and only if needed to keep the headache part of the migraine at a more even level. 
   I try to eat more proteins when I do need a snack, as those will last longer in my system, as well as keep me feeling full longer. I've also learned to think ahead of time and carry a protein bar with me in my purse, so that if a meal gets seriously delayed for whatever reason, I'm not at the mercy of circumstances, but can administer, well, emergency food, as needed.

Quantum in me fuit,
Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts.