Friday, June 7, 2013

Pretty Woman: (Day 7)

What do you do to look good when you feel like crap?

I laughed out loud when I read this prompt because it became prevalent only in the last few years of my life. I have a friend who has a different disease, and has been recently having more bad days over the last, oh, two years. Especially unfortunately for her, she still has to go out among the general public and act like a living being even when she's in terrible pain and can't really function well. She also gets paler than a ghost and is understandably frustrated to look sick because of the amount of pain that she's in.

Enter YouTube. She started to watch makeup tutorials, got some supplies, and, voila! She looked "not dead" even on her really bad days.

I got jealous of her suddenly looking "healthy" all the time, not knowing what her secret was, and so she told me, and showed me the website she got her good quality, excellent price makeup from, such that I didn't have to leave the couch to go to a store. Over Skype, as we're long-distance friends, she taught me the highlights of what she'd learned, customizing it for her knowing that I've a casual appearance most days.

Now, when I feel particularly dreadful, I can just go to my little pouch of makeup essentials, and with a base, eyeliner, and lip gloss, suddenly feel much stronger. It's like putting on war paint for me. I don't necessarily care about looking ~pretty~, and most days leave it off; but if I need to feel pulled together, I now have an easily done option.

Quantum in me fuit,
Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts.