Thursday, June 6, 2013

Premonitions: (Day 6)

Where would you like to see treatment options for Migraine & Headache Disorders go in the future?

That's easy: pediatric migraine awareness and treatment development. There's no question in my mind that there is a great need for a new kind of treatment option to be opened for the pediatric community. I will admit that I'm not completely up-to-date on my pediatric research and treatment information, but I can tell you that twenty years ago it was pitiful.

I have had migraines since at least early childhood, if not since birth. I truly suffered as a little kid, when people didn't believe that I could be having migraines. My poor pediatrician figured it out when I was in either First or Second grade, but what could he do? I would have been about 7 years old! There was so little known about what was going on with migraines at all, much less in the pediatric environment.

I'll never forget when I went to my first pediatric neurologist. I think I was ten or eleven. She put me on an old-fashioned antihistamine that had, through years of observation, been noted to help prevent waking with migraines. This was a huge relief, as most of my migraines at that stage began in my sleep, when I couldn't take the other pill (I forget what). My pediatrician had given me the pill to try and abort a migraine attack, but I was asleep and missed the window, so the antihistamine was awesome.

Finally I would mature enough physically so that I could start taking prescribed adult medications for my migraines, on low doses. But for so many years, I was basically just stuck in hover mode. My migraines had outgrown Children's Tylenol, but my body hadn't.

So, when I published My Secret, I made sure that all the proceeds go to the Migraine Research Foundation to help fund research for migraine treatment among children. One in five school aged children will experience migraine this year, and we owe it to them to make sure that they get the best help and care possible.

Quantum in me fuit,
Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts.