Monday, June 24, 2013

Risky Business: (Day 24)

Each time you try a new treatment, you take a risk. How do you initiate a discussion with your doctor  so you can make an educated decision about trying it as a team.

   Wow... I keep sensing such a feeling of distrust in these questions whenever it comes to speaking to your doctor. I don't know if I'm phenomenally blessed, I suppose I must be, but I've never really found it to be much of a need to "initiate a discussion"; it just... happens.

   My psychologist and neurologist, the two doctors that deal with the prescription meds that can affect my migraines always consult not only each other every time that there's a med change being discussed, but they include me in the discussion. Maybe this is because I have been seeing each of them for close to ten years, and they've watched me grow up and learn the basics that I, as a patient, ought to be concerned with through osmosis basically. Monkey see, monkey do, and all that.

   I'm also a forceful enough personality that if I don't understand something, I'm not going to passively fade off into the sunset when it comes to my health. I'll bulldog the issue and just keep harping on it until I get an answer with which I'm satisfied.

Nobody can take care of me better than me, after all.

Quantum in me fuit,
Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts.