Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Box: You are the experiment: (Day 12)

What situation in your Migraine/Headache Disorders treatment has made you feel most like a guinea pig or lab rat?

   Is there a part that hasn't? I think I need to be notified of that, instead of listing the parts that have made me feel as such. I'm perfectly content with this being the perpetual guinea pig, and I'll tell you why. It is the guinea pig who is on the forefront of research; the lab rat is the one that will lead the way for the tame mice to follow later.

   I am not a common, standard, episodic migraine patient. I've had migraines practically since birth, and they've been effecting me and my quality of life for almost just about as long. Since I'm not the standard, episodic migraine patient, or even a semi-normal chronic migraine patient, it would make sense that my treatment options would not be formulaic according to standard proceedings and symptoms. Because of this, I would be worried if I were not treated as something of an experiment.

My mom, when I was younger and would go into one of my doctors' offices with a new presenting symptom would say that if they ever completely figured out what was wrong with me, they ought to write a medical article on it. And if that was the way I was being viewed by those who were watching, it would make sense that, even when I wasn't aware of it, I was a guinea pig.

I had my heart checked for a PFO before it was officially acknowledged by the FDA as a recognized migraine trigger. I have taken medicine after medicine, basically as soon as they were approved for the original condition, whatever that was, if it had a side effect of helping migraine to see if it would help me.

I truly don't mind any of this cutting edge experimentation. It does no harm, and can do a fair amount of good.

Quantum in me fuit,
Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts.