Sunday, June 16, 2013

Riverdance: (Day 16)

Have you found a way to work exercise or movement into your life with Migraine/Headache Disorder? What is it?

   I've found a way to get myself to move, even on the worst days. I drink. My water bottle only holds about a liter, and I'm supposed to drink at least three full bottles a day. So I have to get up and refill my water bottle from time to time.

   But I don't just get up three times a day, I'll get up and refill my water bottle partway with ice water to keep the temperature of the water cool. I have a hang up where I can't drink warm water without feeling a bit like the water's going to waste as it doesn't feel refreshing. That and I'm heat sensitive, so cold water feels better.

   This means that I get up 8-10 times just to fill my water bottle, depending on the day. And naturally, if I'm drinking that much water, there's going to be more times that I have to get up because of my bladder. So even on the worst day, I'm now up several times, even if for just a minute or two, because it not only is healthy, but because it's become a calming ritual.

   Who would have thought when Mom threatened to make me pay the next doctor bill that told me to drink more, that I'd start drinking enough, and in such a way that it has become a source of reliable, yet reasonable movement even on the days when moving is the last thing I want to do? But it has, and for that I am grateful.

Quantum in me fuit,
Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts.