Saturday, June 22, 2013

Walk the Line: (Day 22)

How do you balance the need to avoid your Migraine/Headache Disorder triggers with equally powerful need to enjoy the things that give your life meaning?

   How sad I find this question; to think that I have to avoid my migraine triggers in order to give my life meaning. I'm in one of my trigger areas right now, but that's not stopping me from finding meaning in my life at this moment. On the contrary, strength rises in the face of adversity. That isn't to say that I go out seeking my triggers, be they food, occupational, or physical, but if I happen to run into one of them, I take the pain that comes and keep going forward as best that I can.

   Take right now for an example; it's 4:45 AM, I've been awake for close to three and a half hours already today. Sleep deprivation is a huge trigger for me, and I'm not supposed to take naps during the day if it can possibly be avoided. So am I possibly triggering myself, yes. Not on purpose, I just awoke! and that was that this morning. But while I'm being sleep deprived, I'm getting my blog written and ready to publish. Writing down my experiences and sharing what I know is one of the ways I give my life meaning.

   Going at this question another way would end up with the same result of me not letting the one really get me down. Since I've had migraines for as long as I can remember, and the same migraine since fall of 'o1, I never really got the "Before" lifestyle picture. That's one thing for which I'm profoundly grateful. I don't know a life without migraines, or how I even would live one, and thus it's not a Big Deal for me to have the pain come along and want to play as well, no matter how ill timed it might seem to the rest. I take it as the pain comes and be grateful for what I can get.

Quantum in me fuit,
Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts.