Monday, April 1, 2013

Thought Lists and Botox

I want to share with you what it's like for me to get the Botox treatment. It's time. Here are some of the feelings that I felt in the first half hour.

Immediately after my Botox shots -

  • giggly
  • tilty
  • light-hearted
  • light headed
  • hopeful
  • anticipitory
  • not so good with the brain
  • slurring 
  • mixing words
  • sounding drunk 
  • floaty


4 hours later, however, I've added -

  • anixious
  • wistful
  • dizzy
  • vertigo-ish
  • still hopeful
  • more grounded
  • sluggish blood
  • weighty
  • reflective
  • remembering
  • too much feeling, not enough words
  • hard to write
  • want to write
 This is only my second treatment, but so far the differences between this and last time that I've noticed are:

  • not as dramatic a drop in pain
  • injection spots more tender
  • I'm calmer than the first night last time
  • I'm not feeling as in the dark
  • I feel a little more well versed in what to expect

I'm glad I've done the second treatment because:
  • I know that it can take up to four treatments to get the full benefit.
  • the idea of low(er) pain is much less foreign to me.
  • I can imagine how acute migraine sufferers could feel frustrated with the lack of knowing.
  •  it shows that I'm going to do everything that I can to try and make myself a person not a patient. 

To those of you who are or may be considering Botox for yourselves, remember that I am only one case. I am an example of a possible reaction, not a guarantee or a dismissal. I would recommend Botox if the you are going to be willing to accept that it most likely will take up to a full calendar year to know if this will work, and if it does, that it isn't a silver bullet. As I understand it, if the Botox works, you will need to keep it up for the foreseeable future. 

Other than that, I'm not yet qualified to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts.