Sunday, April 24, 2016

shaving for the St Baldrick's Foundation

On May 7th, I will be shaving my head to raise money for the St Baldrick’s Foundation; an organization which helps raise money to combat pediatric cancer. I was the target age that St Baldrick's works with when a diagnosis of pediatric cancer was a legitimate concern for me. 

As you know, I’ve suffered from severe migraines all my life. I was in 5th grade when I first went to a pediatric neurologist because my usual doctor was afraid that I was developing a brain tumor or other serious neurological condition. I didn't know how serious the concern was at the time. Mom, however, still talks about how as we were walking into the hospital, she saw a kid, about my age, coming towards us with their head bald from chemo. That sucker punched her, knowing that child could soon be me. 

I was never found to have a cancer, and after I was in my late teens, my doctors stopped screening as frequently. 

This August will mark 15 years of my having the same intractable migraine, but it isn’t cancer. When I shave my head on May 7, my hair will grow back, and I'll still have migraine. However, I hope this will not only be a way to show acknowledgment for my own migraines, but more importantly, recognition of how very different, and difficult, life must be for the kids who are dealing with what I avoided. 

I’m asking you help by sponsoring me, so that kids who are dealing with pediatric cancer can continue to get the support St Baldrick’s brings. 
Thanks,
GR



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts.