Thursday, June 7, 2012

List Topper (Day 7)

I think the biggest myth/misconception about Migraine for me is that I can get "healthy", or be cured. This is tied to the misconception that Migraine can be cured like other diseases. Migraine, for me at least, is a condition that I'll live with for the rest of my life. 


It's not that I don't want to be healthy, it's just that, for me, it's not a realistic goal. If I understand my doctors correctly, my brain has rewired itself so that pain is the status quo. 


The best way to combat this misconception of curability is to teach them, one at a time, that instead of focusing on the negative, we have learned to re-frame the question so we are applauding our achievements, however small they might seem. The no-pain norm no longer applies. 


The norm for me is pain, and that needs to be accepted. However, there are things that I have done today, things I have enjoyed today, and it is those things that need to be acknowledged as achievements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts.