Friday, September 10, 2010

The Good That Comes

It's easy to get sucked into the negative side of a life with status migrainous, and it's important to grasp hold of every good thing you can reach to balance things out. It's particularly easy around negative or depressing milestones to get sucked in. That's why I'm so thrilled that I have a good anniversary that comes around at roughly the same time as a bad one.

As of today, it's been two years since I was released from the hosptial's psych ward. I was admitted because the migraines were so bad that I was disassocitating and turning suicidal while not in control of my body. Not the type of thing you want to happen.

However, I found the strength to ask for, (read demand) help, and I finally got it. And it really did help. It was a total paradigm shift for me, to figure out that I could ask for help when something got too big for me to handle it on my own.

Before Sept. 10, 'o8 I'd had status migrainous for just under seven years, and I had never learned how to ask for help. Instead I had shut down my body and mind so that I wouldn't have to deal with the pain. In 'o8, I broke the cycle of hiding, and learned that it actually made me stronger if I asked for help than if I had just stayed in my shell.

So while I'm about to enter into my 10th year of status migrainous, I can remember Sept. 10, 'o8 as a time when I proved I was/am stronger than the pain, and that means the world to me.

Try and find something good to focus on this week!


Quantum in me fuit

~Gretchen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts.